How to Get Yourself a Mentor



Original Source Here

If not for the guidance of the handful of people I call mentors, I wouldn’t have grown to be a Senior Data Scientist. 90% of the success is all my hard work, but I attribute 10% of that growth to the crucial directions I was guided towards.

After graduating, I didn’t know if I had to pursue a Master’s or a Ph.D. or directly step into the AI industry. When I stepped into the industry, I didn’t know how to best handle work and balance life. When presented with opportunities and responsibilities, I didn’t know how to lead people and handle clients. To achieve every milestone in my career, I learned it from my mentors. And I never went and asked them to mentor me.

You never go and ask someone to mentor you.

Mentorship happens organically. Mentors spend a minimal amount of time with you while you do 90% of the work. Most mentors wouldn’t even realize they are one. They don’t expect anything in return from you.

The world of Data Science isn’t the same as how it was five years back. As a mentor who helps students and enthusiasts to break into the world of data science, I understand how hard it is to break into this field and how helpful it would be to have someone to guide you through.

But mentorship isn’t about them; it’s about you. It’s about what you want to achieve and what you would do to get there. In this article, I outline some necessary steps you could put your efforts to get yourself a mentor. Trust me, I say this with experience, in the end, it’ll be worth it.

AI/ML

Trending AI/ML Article Identified & Digested via Granola by Ramsey Elbasheer; a Machine-Driven RSS Bot



via WordPress https://ramseyelbasheer.wordpress.com/2020/11/30/how-to-get-yourself-a-mentor/

Popular posts from this blog

I’m Sorry! Evernote Has A New ‘Home’ Now

Jensen Huang: Racism is one flywheel we must stop

5 Best Machine Learning Books for ML Beginners